IAP2 International Statement on Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (English)
“I can’t believe what you say because I see what you do.”
– James Baldwin
The International Association of Public Participation (IAP2) stands with Black Lives Matter in the United States and globally. We are committed to making a difference and we are compelled to address matters related to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
within our organization.
In our HEARTS we feel:
- Grief and pain for the recent deaths of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, Rayshard Brooks, and so many other African Americans who have and continue to suffer the injustices of systemic racism and ubiquitous inequity.
- An urgency from within us to acknowledge the injustices of racial prejudice that deny equal treatment under the law and to heed Ghandi’s call and “be the change you wish to see in the world.”
In our MINDS we believe:
- All people have a right to be safe and to live and to work in peace.
- That the health and sustainability of the communities we represent are stronger when all people are treated with respect, equality, and dignity.
- That we are called to advocate for honest, respectful, and open dialog for meaningful change, and to dismantle the insidious walls of systemic racism and injustice.
- That historical practices, laws, behaviors and norms of racial bias have excluded or severely prejudiced the well-being, freedoms and fair treatment of people of color.
- That we are duty-bound to express, to celebrate and to champion Diversity, Equity and Inclusion as foundational to the well-being of our communities and future generations.
- That the standard we walk past is the standard we accept, and that as IAP2 Board Members we are complicit if we are silent.
In our ACTIONS we commit to:
- Auditing our internal policies, processes, and practices to ensure matters of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are clearly visible and embedded in the work we do.
- Obtaining training from experienced professionals to deepen our collective understanding of the historic harm to people of color as a result of racial inequity.
- Promoting awareness and advocacy among IAP2 members, and governing in support of diversity, equity and inclusion for all people, beginning with people of color.
- Celebrating and expanding the diverse makeup of IAP2 member organizations and the work these do to advance diversity, equity and inclusion worldwide.
# # #