STRATEGIES FOR DEALING WITH OPPOSITION AND OUTRAGE IN PUBLIC PARTICIPATION: MOVING FROM RAGE TO REASON
is an IAF Certified Professional Facilitator, a course developer for both the original IAP2 Certificate program and newly revamped IAP2 Foundations program and the Strategies for Dealing with Opposition and Outrage in Public Participation course. He served as an original Master Trainer for IAP2 and as Vice President of IAP2 USA. He’s managed nearly 400 complex global projects over a 30-year career, facilitated more than 1,000 meetings and helped develop a risk and emergency communication protocol for the U.S. National Governors Association. John is a roster member of the U.S. Institute for Environmental Conflict Resolution, the former Director of Issues and Crisis Management for Motorola Corporation and former Communications Director for the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality.
PUBLIC ANGER IS AN INCREASING FACT OF SOCIETY
Growing global citizen outrage causes government gridlock, lawsuits, stopped projects, election losses, loss of time, money, and destroyed credibility. This course is based on the theories of Dr. Peter Sandman (www.psandman.com), creator of the "Risk = Hazard + Outrage" formula and a pre-eminent risk communication speaker and consultant, and will help you move people from rage to reason and engage stakeholders in building consensus for better decisions.
This practical, hands-on workshop is a fresh 2-day mix of lecture, video, small and large group discussion and authentic, real world exercises that give you the answers, tools and ability to prevent problems, manage the tough public issues that you face and keep your organization on track and moving forward.
WHEN YOU TAKE THIS COURSE YOU WILL
- Learn how to identify and access the root causes of public frustration, anger and outrage
- Understand 12 factors of citizen emotion and be better able to predict and prevent public anger
Comprehend different strategies for the 4 kinds of risk communication
- Learn the 6 main ways to prevent or reduce public wrath, to make room for reason and allow effective public engagement to take place
YOU WILL LEARN
- Strategies for managing public opposition
- How to manage outrage in public participation
- To use specific tools and techniques for working with the angriest people
- Stakeholder analysis and motivations
- How to remove the internal barriers to outrage management
- How to ask questions with value and empathy
- Who should do what—roles and responsibility
- How your own attitude impacts public and stakeholder anger
The Participation Company offers discounts to active members of IAP2 USA, AICP, ICMA and NCDD. The discount is valid through our Early Bird Deadline of October 11, 2019. Last Day to Register: November 6, 2019.
AICP members can earn Certification Maintenance (CM) credits for this training.
More information about AICP’s CM program can be found at www.planning.org/cm.
Strategies for Dealing with Opposition and Outrage in Public Participation (2-Days) CM I 12 CM
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR THIS EVENT