Foundations in Public Participation was designed with the input of successful practitioners who work with diverse populations and divergent circumstances throughout the world. The course is divided into two modules, each focusing on one of the two major phases of public participation, planning and techniques. Upon completion of both modules, you will receive a certificate of completion from IAP2.
Who should take this training?
Regardless of the arena in which you work, IAP2’s Foundations in Public Participation can broaden your toolkit and bring greater creativity to your approach. This programme will give you a broad-based understanding of how public participation works across the world.
Foundations is right for anyone working for or involved in public participation and community engagement projects in:
For more information on training close to you, please check the Training Calendar or contact one of our National Affiliates or an IAP2 Foundations Trainer.
Planning for Effective Public Participation (Three Days)
A major reason that initiatives fail to reach their goals is inadequate preparation. Our planning module provides you with a proven structure that will greatly increase your odds of a successful project. This hands-on course gives you the opportunity to delve into your own challenges using the essential elements of effective public participation planning.
- Evaluating the scope of a decision and identifying the processes needed.
- Identifying the decision steps including timing and needed resources.
- Establishing roles and responsibilities of the primary parties.
- Developing a comprehensive, decision impact analysis to identify the stakeholder community, their concerns, and hopes.
- Selecting the appropriate level of public participation.
- Setting clear and achievable objectives.
- Developing a detailed public participation plan.
- Planning for communications initiatives that support the process.
- Identifying appropriate evaluation tools to measure the effectiveness of the initiative.
This course is a prerequisite for the subsequent module, Techniques for Effective Public Participation.
Techniques for Effective Public Participation (Two Days)
Once you have completed the planning course, you are ready to add 50+ practical tools and methodologies to your public participation toolkit. Working experientially with seasoned IAP2 trainers and your peers, you’ll now learn powerful techniques you can put to immediate use in your next project.
This module breaks down specific methods including World Café, Interviews, Revolving Conversations, Deliberation, and Advisory Groups. You’ll leave armed with a wealth of reference material, IAP2 tipsheets, and the ability to select appropriate procedures for each new project. You’ll also learn how to establish and maintain effective communication during the process.